Veterans Affairs Canada's website is undergoing maintenance. If you are experiencing any issues, please contact us. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Veterans Independence Program for survivors

Could home care services help you remain independent in your own home? The Veterans Independence Program for survivors provides annual funding to help cover the cost for services such as grounds maintenance and housekeeping.

About this program

The Veterans Independence Program for survivors provides annual tax-free funding to help cover the cost for services such as grounds maintenance and housekeeping.

This program does not replace other federal, provincial or municipal programs. Instead, it is intended to work with those programs to help meet your needs.

Do you qualify?

To qualify, your deceased spouse must have been:

  • a Second World War or Korean War Veteran, and
  • was receiving or eligible to receive a Disability Pension or the War Veterans Allowance.
  • And was not receiving services through the Veterans Independence Program (VIP). If they were receiving VIP services, you need to apply as a primary caregiver.

In addition, at the time they died, you must:

  • have been primarily responsible for ensuring their care for at least one year, and
  • not receiving a wage to provide that care.

If all of these conditions are true, you should apply for the Veterans Independence Program for survivors if you:

How to apply

Apply online

If you are registered for My VAC Account, you can submit your application for this benefit online. If you aren’t registered, you can register now.

My VAC Account

Mail or in person

Download the application form. Then, drop it off at a VAC office or at any Service Canada office. You can also mail your completed form directly to the address listed on the form.

Go to form

Get help with your application

The staff at any VAC office can assist you, or call us at 1-866-522-2122.

Additional information

Find out more

See current maximum rates payable for these services.

Related programs

Veterans Independence Program: Payments for home and health care services that you need to remain independent at home.

Veterans Independence Program for caregivers: Helps the spouse or survivor of a Veteran remain in their home and community.

Frequently asked questions

What is the fastest way to apply for VIP services?

The fastest way to apply is by using My VAC Account. Other methods are also available, see 'How to Apply' for more information.

I am currently living outside of Canada, can I still receive my VIP benefits?

Unfortunately, Veterans Independence Program payments can only be provided to you when you are residing in Canada.

Can I choose any provider of services?

You may obtain services from the provider of your choice.

How is my housekeeping/grounds maintenance grant calculated?

The housekeeping and grounds maintenance grants are calculated based on your level of need and the going rate for these services in your area, up to the allowable maximum amount. These rates are determined by a review of costs for these services across the country, including the labour market index. This national rate table shows the going rates payable by geographic area.

Where can I find the policies for this program?

Read the Veterans Independence Program policies.