Veterans Affairs Canada's website is undergoing maintenance. If you are experiencing any issues, please contact us. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Assistance Fund

Do you receive the War Veterans Allowance and find yourself in an unexpected financial situation? The Assistance Fund provides grants of up to $1,000 (per calendar year) to help pay for an emergency that affects your health or safety.

About this program

The Assistance Fund provides grants of up to $1,000 (per calendar year) to help pay for an emergency situation that affects your health or safety. Assistance Fund cash grants are only for genuine emergencies and unexpected circumstances which create a need that can’t otherwise be met.

For example, you can use the Assistance Fund for the following needs:

  • Home/shelter: repair damage to your home caused by something outside your control such as fire, flood, wind damage, vandalism or accident,
  • Clothing: replace clothing lost or destroyed in an emergency,
  • Health: pay for aids or services necessary for your health and safety, or your dependants' health and safety, when payment is not available from other sources, or
  • Essential appliances: these are household appliances essential for the health or safety of you or your dependant(s).
  • Debt: pay debt resulting from an emergency, or that failure to pay would result in an emergency.

The most you can receive from an Assistance Fund grant is $1,000 in a calendar year.

Do you qualify?

You should apply for the Assistance Fund if you:

  • receive a War Veterans Allowance,
  • live in Canada, and
  • need money for an emergency.

An emergency is a threat to your immediate health or safety, such as a flood or fire.

You and your spouse can apply for an Assistance Fund grant if you both meet the qualifications.

How to apply

Apply online

If you are registered for My VAC Account, you can submit your application for this benefit online. If you aren't registered, you can register now.

My VAC Account

Mail or in person

Download the application form. Then, drop it off at a VAC office or at any Service Canada office. You can also mail your completed application directly to the address listed on the form.

Go to form

Get help with your application

The staff at any VAC office or Transition Centre (TC) can assist you, or call us at 1-866-522-2122.

Additional information

Related programs

War Veterans Allowance: monthly assistance to Second World War or Korean War Veterans, based on income.

Frequently asked questions

If I apply for the benefit and get declined, can I appeal?

Yes. If you are not satisfied with a decision you may apply in writing for a review. Learn more about your review and appeal options.

Are there policies for this program?

Yes. Read more about the Assistance Fund policy.