John Bell Chapel

John Bell Chapel plaque

Appleby College
1 of 2 images

John Bell Chapel

Appleby College
1 of 2 images
Type

John Bell Chapel

Oakville, Ontario

Notice:

The National Inventory of Canadian Military Memorials is a public, crowd-sourced registry that helps Canadians learn about memorials in their communities. Inclusion in the Inventory does not imply VAC ownership or authority. Responsibility for the care, management, and any changes to a memorial rests with its owning or governing organization.

In 1918, five Old Boys approached the Headmaster at Appleby College to build a school chapel as a memorial to the eight Old Boys and one Master who died in the First World War. The architectural firm of Shepard and Calvin, Toronto designed the chapel and used lake stone for its exterior walls. Construction began in August 1920 and was completed in fall 1929. It was dedicated on November 7 by the Right Reverend the Lord Bishop of Niagara.

In 1967, the chapel was enlarged to accommodate a growing student body. The chapel re-opened in spring 1968 as the John Bell Chapel, in appreciation of Reverend Canon John A.M. Bell, Appleby’s third Headmaster. At this time the chapel was dedicated to those from the college who lost their lives in the First and the Second World Wars.

Location
John Bell Chapel

540 Lakeshore Road W
Oakville
Ontario
GPS Coordinates
Lat. 43.4262812
Long. -79.6874652