How do I change my address with Veterans Affairs?

Change of residential and/or mailing address

If you are moving to a new place of residence, it is important that you notify Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) of the change of your residential and/or mailing address to ensure that your benefit payments and other correspondence continues to arrive on time.

Key information

Residential address versus mailing address:

  • A residential address is the street address where you live.
  • A mailing address is the address where you receive mail delivery. Your mailing address may be the same as your residential address.

Permanent versus temporary change of address:

  • A permanent change of address occurs when you move to a new residence with no intention of returning to your previous residence.
  • A temporary change of address occurs when you wish to have mail redirected to an address where you will be residing on a temporary basis. (i.e. Residents of Canada who spend winters outside of the country typically use this service.)

How do I change my address with Veterans Affairs Canada?

If you are registered for My VAC Account, you can change your address now. If you're not registered, why wait? Register today. My VAC Account is a simple and secure way to do business online with Veterans Affairs Canada.

My VAC Account


You can update your residential and/or mailing address by telephone, mail or fax.

By telephone

For service in English: 1-866-522-2122
For service in French: 1-866-522-2022

By mail

You can write a letter to ask us to change your address or you can complete a Request for Address Change form.

If you request a change of address by letter, please ensure that you include the following information:

  • Your name and signature
  • Your file number or service number
  • Your old address
  • Your new address
  • Effective date of your move
  • Please indicate if this is a permanent or temporary change of address. For temporary change of address, please indicate the time period of this change.

Where do I send my letter or request for address change form?

By mail

Send a letter or completed request for address change to:

Veterans Affairs Canada
Post Box 400
Matane, QC G4W 0E4

By fax

You can fax your letter or completed request for address change form to 1-833-983-1378 (toll free) within Canada. Those outside of Canada can access the fax line at 418-566-6165

Additional information

If you are unsure of how to format your new address, please check the Canada Post Web site for more information or contact us at 1-866-522-2122 for service in English or 1-866-522-2022 for service in French.

If you live outside Canada, you can obtain a request for address change form through Foreign Countries Operations. If you live in:

United States
Please call: 1-888-996-2242 (toll free)

United Kingdom, Germany, France, Belgium
Please call: 00-800-996-22421 (toll free)

Other European countries (not listed above), Australia and New Zealand
Please call collect: 613-996-2242

Reminder: If you receive Veterans Affairs Canada payments by direct deposit and have changed financial institutions, please complete a direct deposit request form.