Veterans Affairs Canada's website is undergoing maintenance. If you are experiencing any issues, please contact us. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Career Transition Services

Looking to start a career after your service in the military? Get career counselling, help with resume writing, and interview preparation to help you find a new career.

About this service

Career Transition Services can help you find a career that is best suited for you.

During your service, you developed skills and knowledge that can help you in a new career. You will work with qualified counsellors who understand the transition you are making — from military to post-military life.

Whenever you have career transition needs, this service provides the following:

  • one-on-one career counselling
  • help with resume writing
  • interview preparation
  • job-searching

Do you qualify?

You should apply for Career Transition Services if you are:

  • a still-serving Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) member (Regular or Reserve Force) who completed basic training,
  • a former member who completed basic training and released from the CAF on or after 1 April 2006
  • entitled to the Canadian Forces Income Support Benefit.

Spouse, common-law partners and survivors

  • a spouse, common-law partner or survivor of a Veteran who completed basic training and who released from the CAF on or after 1 April 2006
  • a survivor of a CAF member who completed basic training and who died on or after 1 April 2006.

How to apply

Before you apply

We will contact you with a decision within four weeks of receiving your application. If you apply online, we receive your application right away. If you apply by mail, we will receive your application within several business days.

Apply online

Apply online through My VAC Account. Applying is easier with a guided form. Sign in or register for My VAC Account.

My VAC Account

Mail or in person

Download the application form for Veterans or Members or for Spouses/Common-law or Survivor. Then drop it off — or find support to fill it out — at a VAC area office or CAF Transition Centre. You can also mail your completed application directly to the address on the form.

Go to form

Go to Spouse/Common-law or Survivor form

Get help with your application

The staff at any VAC office or Transition Centre can assist you. Call us at 1-866-522-2122.

Additional information

Once you're approved

Agilic is a company providing employment services for the federal and provincial governments. They will contact you and help develop a plan to define your career goals, and offer strategies to help you realize those goals.

You may also qualify for the Education Training Benefit. Even if you do not qualify, Agilec can work with you to find other possible sources of funding.

Find out more

If you are participating in VAC’s vocational rehabilitation you do not qualify for this service because you will receive career transition support through that service.

Watch this video for a quick overview of Career Transition Services.

Related programs and services

Jobs in the Federal Government - We can help you continue to serve your country in the federal public service.

Education Training Benefit - Financial support to help you achieve your education and career goals.

Transition Interview - A meeting to provide information on VAC programs and services available to you and your family.

Veteran Family Program - If you're medically releasing or released, find help and advice during transition to post-military life.

Frequently asked questions

If I apply for the benefit and get declined, can I appeal?

Yes. If you are not satisfied with a decision you may apply in writing for a review. Learn more about your review and appeal options.

Can I use Career Transition Services more than once during my lifetime?

Yes. If you are a Veteran or survivor, you can access Career Transition Services for support at any point in your life.

What's new about Career Transition Services?

If you are still serving, your spouse or common-law partner can access the program for two years after your release date.

Are there policies for this service?

Yes. Read more about the Career Transition Services policies.

More Career Transition Services FAQs.